Off to the Races

From my bench in the middle of the boat I was getting to know some of my fellow dragons. David taught me how to avoid hyperventilating and recounted the history of dragon boating. I won’t attempt to retell that history here, but it reminded me of the Iliad.

Simon talked up the upcoming Sprints race and encouraged me to participate. I also met Nancy, who coordinates attendance at practices, and Brett, one of the steerspeople who admired my A’s Spring Training 2001 cap. But there were still a lot of people to sort in my mind.

Teams often divide themselves into pairs of bench mates. Bench mates are optimally similar in size and build. This phenomenon did not help me. It took most of the year for me to tell the difference between Nancy and Linda and Marcella and Lori. It didn’t help that there were two Lori’s (although one is a Laurie) and three Amys.

It helped that many team members got coffee at the Peet’s near our dock after practice and visit for awhile at the tables outside. I joined in primarily because I am a huge Peet’s fan (despite the fact I don’t drink coffee), and I figured the more time I spent with these people the better my chance of putting names to faces.

Between Simon and David on the boat and the coffee drinkers, I was persuaded to join the Sprints team. A big selling point is that the Sprint races are only 250 meters, half the length of a regular race. It helped that the Sprints were being held in Alameda out at the old Seaplane Lagoon, only a couple of miles from home. It didn’t help that we were suppose to show up by 7 am.

I was ill-prepared for race day, which bares a lot of similarities to camping – an activity I avoid at all costs. I understood that a camp chair was required. Since I’m very fair skinned, I found one on Amazon with its own canopy. Then there was a contribution to the potluck lunch. This is tricky because I’m gluten free, but at least food is within my comfort zone.

Prepping boats with heads and tails for race day

My big faux pas turned out to be in the area of wardrobe. Dragon boat teams wear team jerseys to race. But when I started with the team, the Alameda DragonFlyers were in the midst of a rebranding effort. That meant they weren’t ordering anymore of the old jerseys, and the new jerseys were a year off.

The default was to wear a plain black jersey. But I didn’t get that memo. I showed up to race day at 7 am in a charming pink jersey and blue tights. Linda was coordinating the race, and she was not amused.

My major accomplishment for the day was that I didn’t fall out of the boat, I coped with the porta-potties and I didn’t get sunburned. The race-day adrenaline resulted in a frenzy of paddling and splashing like I had never seen before. The team actually won second place in the Rec C division.

By the end of the day I was tired, salt-encrusted and longing for the comforts of indoor plumbing. On the upside, apparently my participation didn’t particularly hold back the team. Maybe I would be up for the Northern California International Dragon Boat Festival coming up in the Fall.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.